AMA - Defcon 5's Captain MackNJeeves

• Hey guys,

I know I've said this a bunch, but I wanted to thank everyone again for watching our Throwdown Thursday against the developers! I know I speak for the rest of Defcon 5 when I say that we all had a blast, even if we couldn't pull out the W. But to be fair, we and the devs are 1-1. I say we're gonna have to settle this one day ;).

Anyway, I know that Zin got to speak for his team after their win, but I thought it'd be fun to open up a thread for any questions you might have for DC5. Feel free to ask me anything (cause, you know... that's what AMA stands for :P).

If you missed the match, you can catch them here:

https://www.twitch.tv/playbreakaway/v/98851979
    https://www.twitch.tv/playbreakaway/v/98862368

~MackNJeeves
    twitter: twitter.com/MackNJeeves
    twich: twitch.tv/MackNJeeves

• @flipdup said in AMA - Defcon 5's Captain MackNJeeves:

@MackNJeeves

First off, great show! I can't wait to watch the rematch!

Now for questions...

• Do you play on controller or keyboard?
    • What was the practice like before the actual throwdown? Were you guys feeling pretty confident going into it?
    • Did you guys have any specific plays/formations pre-planned or was everything kinda "play it by ear" like the three-man pass play?
    • Was there anything surprising about Salty Runback when you finally got into the real match? Anything that caught you off guard?
    • If there was one thing you could've done differently in order to get the win, what would it be? What about as a team?

I kept it to five. I got more floating around but those should do for starters.

Can't wait to see the end of the trilogy.

Flipd, thanks for the questions man! I'm glad you enjoyed the show - I know I speak for the rest of Defcon5 when I say we had a blast!

Let's see about these's questions:

• I personally use a keyboard/mouse. All of DC5 does except for BlueJ (our Alona). There are definitely some moves that I would not be able to do easily on controller (like my juke, 180 spin-toss with Thorgrim - you should have seen how many people I threw off the edge during practice).

• So we all got to the studio around 1pm. After getting signed in and situated, DC5 and I basically got to play from then until the stream - we got about 3 hours worth of play in on the systems we were actually playing on. At first they were going to have us just play some bots, but we ended up playing a few of the other dev team (I think we ended up playing 4 dev teams). This was great because, honestly, playing against the bots was somewhat useless, just like any other game - once you get to a certain level, the bots just don't cut it. Oh, we also played against each other for one game - we split the team up, and put 2 bots on each team. That was a cool way to practice as well.

• As far as plays, we didn't really have anything specific. We did at least have a game plan going in. We wanted to be a lot better about taking out buildables, because that was a big issue we had at TwitchCon. So we had one of our DPS focus on that. My focus was disruption as always - My focus was to stay wherever the relic was and keep it from moving or progressing too far. Alona stuck with me most of the time. But yeah, most of our starting plays ("go for red buff," "go for relic," etc) was on the fly.

So the three-man pass play was completely on the fly. We had been focusing pretty hard on the red buff at the beginning of matches - I would grab the relic to get control and everyone else would go red buff. At the start of that particular round, we saw their whole team go red buff, so the call became "charge mid!". I passed it off to Prophet who ran down the right side, I positioned myself mid in order to stave off enemies behind us, and BlueJ was on my left. And then we did that rugby move where we just passed it down the line, and BlueJ dashed in. We just took advantage of the whole Dev team being out of position.

• I wasn't really surprised by too much with Salty Runback. I guess I was surprised that, over 5 games, they didn't change up their comp. I don't know if that was in response to us not changing things up or not. We had a few other comps ready, but after winning two games, we decided to keep things the same.

• And for the toughest question: How did I screw up? How did I fail my team? haha. There was plenty I could have done better. I wasn't communicating very well at first. I was following our calls from BlueJ and just doing my thing. I started getting better at calling things out (calling cooldowns, positions, baits, etc) after a game or two. There were a couple of matches where I was in their backline and decided to take down a buildable instead of focus the relic (i.e. wasn't doing my job). This led to a couple of scores by the Devs, so that wasn't good. There were more than a few times where I just walked off the edge of the map like a scrub. Oh, and a few times I forgot to put down buildables because I was focused on something else (like grabbing the relic). So a lot of little things.

As a team, I think it would come down to focusing on our roles - like me, making sure I was always on the relic rather than focusing on buildables or trying to 1v1 the other black knight lol. I think there were times where all of us didn't focus on our roles and we suffered for it (caused us to overextend or to allow the relic to get behind us). Other than that, I think we played pretty well for having 3 hours of practice haha.

• @Kalology said in AMA - Defcon 5's Captain MackNJeeves:

My main question lies in communication: were you, as captain, constantly shot-calling? If not, what was your in-game role as captain?

I'm also quite curious about your plans moving forward as a player, with alpha rolling around and the time commitment coming with that.

GG's, was a seriously awesome series to watch.

Kalo, my man. This is a good question:

From the broadcast Point-Of-View, the Devs said that, if we won, whomever was the "Captain" of the team was going to be interviewed after the match (like how ZinRamu was). As soon as they said that, the other guys were all like "Jeeves!" lol. So, from a broadcast point-of-view, the captain was just the "face/voice" of the team.

Now, from an internal team prospective, as Captain, I tried to help keep the other guys focused. The twins have a very competitive nature, so when they aren't winning, they start to tilt. After games and after rounds, I would help refocus, I would explain issues in a way that didn't place "blame" on people, and also give props when props were due. It's important to understand how the different players on your team communicate and how they react and interact. Some people don't respond well to "tough love" - ("You were out of position there." "If you were doing this, they wouldn't be able to score," etc). You have to be careful not to "place blame" when communicating strategy. Besides, there are too many variables to say that one specific thing caused a score.

Also, I'm the first person to take blame when something goes wrong. I'm fine doing that - I know when I screw up and, if it helps the rest of the team get off of the "blame game", then I'll take blame. After that, we can move on and focus on the next game.

I didn't shot call, I designated that to BlueJ who I think was more comfortable in that role and also in a better position to do it as a healer. I'm up front and am not able to see everything like he can. As far as calls, I focused on cooldowns (enemy ult is down), positioning (calling for resets if we're in a team fight too long), and calling out baits when I saw them.

Now on to the fun part - my plans moving forward. Since this game is still in Alpha, my plan right now is helping this community/game grow. Definitely going to be playing and streaming the game. I'd like to make some content for the game for my YouTube channel - I have some ideas for that. But yeah, my plan right now focuses on being a large, positive part of this community. For a long time, I've wanted to get in to the gaming community in a big way. I think one thing that I have to offer is just being a positive influence - I find a lot of negativity in the gaming community and, though it might attract viewers and subs etc, I think it's bad for communities at the end of the day. So if I can be a positive influence in a community for a game I love, I'll down.

If the question is about going "pro" with this game - it's not a focus, but if the opportunity arises, I will definitely be interested. Honestly, I would moreso love to get in to casting rather than playing pro. But we'll see what the future brings - I'm not going to rule anything out.

• My main question lies in communication: were you, as captain, constantly shot-calling? If not, what was your in-game role as captain?

I'm also quite curious about your plans moving forward as a player, with alpha rolling around and the time commitment coming with that.

GG's, was a seriously awesome series to watch.

• Amazon Game Studios

Great games. Very intense. I have more grey hair after those matches.

Thanks for traveling so far to play with us MackNJeeves. You've got a great understanding of the game so far and I'm excited to see you progress as a player.

Enjoy.

-EarlGrey

• @MackNJeeves

First off, great show! I can't wait to watch the rematch!

Now for questions...

• Do you play on controller or keyboard?
    • What was the practice like before the actual throwdown? Were you guys feeling pretty confident going into it?
    • Did you guys have any specific plays/formations pre-planned or was everything kinda "play it by ear" like the three-man pass play?
    • Was there anything surprising about Salty Runback when you finally got into the real match? Anything that caught you off guard?
    • If there was one thing you could've done differently in order to get the win, what would it be? What about as a team?

I kept it to five. I got more floating around but those should do for starters.

Can't wait to see the end of the trilogy.

• @Tao_Owl Thank you so much for having me! It's been a pleasure working with you guys and look forward to continuing to do so in the future!

Looks like your connection to Breakaway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.