Should players in twitch chat be able to impact gameplay in any way?

• Twitch currently has the functionality for users in twitch chat to impact gameplay through things said in chat.

Stream+ is adding new features that allow users to answer polls and place bets.

Should it be possible for users to affect gameplay through their responses?

Some random examples could include voting to modify gravity for the rest of the game (+15%, no change, -15%), removal of a specific type of win condition for the current round (no team kill, no relic score, no territory), more potent breakables, etc.

Any thoughts?

• In casual, why not, but I would think a on/off feature would be needed for some who just don't want it.

• Amazon Game Studios

Hey all,

Head of the Stream+ team here. First off thanks for bringing this up!

In general, we believe finding solutions to resolve viewers having to spam chat on Twitch to interact with the games they want is good for broadcasters and for viewers. For the alpha version of Stream+ we're focused on supporting Breakaway, which as Zin pointed out is intended to be a competitive balanced game. With this in mind, we want to be careful that viewers don't negatively impact the game for the players while still finding ways to make viewing more fun and engaging.

Custom games where everyone knows ahead of time that the viewers could be impacting the content is a fun idea, and as pointed out there are certainly other long term potential practical implications for other games.

For Breakaway, if we for now left out stuff that impacted competitive balance....We'd love to hear what other interactions as a viewer would you like to be able to see from Stream+ for Breakaway?

Thanks!
    -Colin

• Amazon Game Studios

Love the creativity and ideas for everyone!

An important goal for Breakaway is to maintain a competitive, level playing field. We want the competitive experience to be consistent and predictable. So initially we want to focus on Twitch interactions that make the viewing experience more interesting – things like polls, providing richer game stats, or maybe joining in on MVP voting.

But somewhere down the line, I could see us having fun modes or special holiday events where chat can throw players a curve ball or two. @MackNJeeves I like the “polarizes” idea, or maybe a hot potato type mutator where you can only hold the relic for 2 seconds before it damages you.

• @colinjohanson said in Should players in twitch chat be able to impact gameplay in any way?:

Hey all,

Head of the Stream+ team here. First off thanks for bringing this up!

In general, we believe finding solutions to resolve viewers having to spam chat on Twitch to interact with the games they want is good for broadcasters and for viewers. For the alpha version of Stream+ we're focused on supporting Breakaway, which as Zin pointed out is intended to be a competitive balanced game. With this in mind, we want to be careful that viewers don't negatively impact the game for the players while still finding ways to make viewing more fun and engaging.

Custom games where everyone knows ahead of time that the viewers could be impacting the content is a fun idea, and as pointed out there are certainly other long term potential practical implications for other games.

For Breakaway, if we for now left out stuff that impacted competitive balance....We'd love to hear what other interactions as a viewer would you like to be able to see from Stream+ for Breakaway?

Thanks!
    -Colin

Holy Moly. Colin Johanson? Like the one who used to work at ArenaNet? If this is actually you, I feel so good that this game is in good hands. Always been a huge fan of yours and I know you ended up at Amazon.

• Amazon Game Studios

Holy Moly. Colin Johanson? Like the one who used to work at ArenaNet? If this is actually you, I feel so good that this game is in good hands. Always been a huge fan of yours and I know you ended up at Amazon.

Thanks Peekyu, that's me yup, appreciate the compliment!

I'm not on the Breakaway team, though my team is helping them out by putting together the Stream+ alpha on Twitch for use with the game.

Though I'm not involved with day-to-day development on the game, I can tell you the Breakaway team are super talented developers - their game is in very good hands and it's great to see you've taken an interest in what they're doing. Most importantly, they're super excited to get your feedback on the game and use it to help make the game even better!

All the best,
    -Colin

• This would be a cool feature, as long as both teams where effected for a casual or custom game mode :P

• no that should be a special thing for the other game amazon is making

• Not having a consistent game mode will frustrate a lot of the player base. I am not too interested in playing a game that changes randomly and I think it will scare off big streamers who will get trolled by their large viewer base. It would be easy to manipulate a game with enough people, and that is a big no-no for a competitive game.

Perhaps if they implemented a special game mode where chat could influence each match, but as for ranked modes and even unranked game modes, I think gameplay should remain consistent and unable to be altered by anyone not in the actual match.

• As others have listed above, I definitely agree that if this were to happen, it should only be in casual gamemodes.

That being said, I think it'd be awesome to see some crazy modes just in general (multiple relics, buildables on cooldowns instead of once per round are a couple that immediately come to mind) and integrating chat into that with Stream+ seems like an obvious step!

Edit: I agree with MissDJM though, I'd rather have all resources focused on making this game as cleanly competitive as possible, at least early on. The fun modes can come after!

• I get what you're saying, really It all depends on how they implement it. Like @KillCrit said, in casual doesn't sound so bad. But the way it seems this game is geared towards, esports, it seems like a waste of time to put the effort in incorporating chat affecting game play. I personally would rather have the dev team focusing on making it the best competitive game it can be for casual and ranked. Instead of a feature that after some time streamers may not even want to use.

Again, this is all my personally opinion.

• I would imagine this would be cool for... "custom matches" so to speak. For example - as a streamer, if I wanted to play with my viewers, I could create a custom match, invite whomever wanted to come in, and then toggle something that allows the viewers to vote on modifiers (maybe a different modifier every round? I would imagine adding a modifier every round would get NUTZ if a game goes to round 5 - could also be fun as hell!).

But in normal "queues" - casual and ranked (if there are such things), I don't know that I would want that. I just think of myself going in to a casual match and someone is streaming on the other team who has the modifier option turned on. If I'm not looking to play with modifiers, that would make for a very frustrating time for me.

• @MackNJeeves Thoughts about modifiers:

Anti-Gravity, Lowered Cooldowns, Ice Floor (sliding everywhere).

... OH MAN - how about a modifier that "polarizes" the relic. This would basically be like catching a greased up pig. Let's say that the players and the relics are all magnets with the same pole. As a player runs at the relic, it repels the relic in the direction the player is running. Essentially, to score, you would have to "push" the relic into the enemy base. I would imagine this would be very difficult, but I would see it being fun for at least one round!

• Another reason I was thinking of this is for the launch of Crucible, which is the AGS Survival game.. I picture the streamers as the people from the hunger games and the twitch fans as the ones running it.. summoning disasters, unleashing acid spewing boars, deciding on supply drops, deciding on weapon types, etc.

• @colinjohanson This resonates with me, try to pull people away from spamming so that we can see meaningful comments/chat, obviously you are not going to be able to eradicate this completely, but it is a good step towards it!

• @Zin_Ramu Ooo, Hot Potato! I like that too!

• I love how the developers read the forums and take the time to respond to posts! Looking very much forward to Breakaway!

• @colinjohanson Great to see you here Colin, I hope that you safely landed and found a nice new working environment.
    @Zin_Ramu What about different relic properties:

• Fast / Slow Speed - throw and carrier movement
    • Bouncy
    • Gla* s - everytime the relic drops you have to collect the shards or carry smaller parts

Just throwing around some ideas.
    Cheers, Quiccsilvver.

• I think this would be a great gameplay mode to toggle. But it has to be an option that can be toggled and not toggled. I would hope that more options would be added regularly. Every month, a new gameplay metric can be added and encouraged, to keep things interesting. It would also be cool if you can give a certain player items/skills in a hunger games style sponsorship. This can supplement the betting, to try to give advantage to your team.

Looks like your connection to Breakaway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.