Combat: Nothing is clear and I feel like I'm at a trap rave!

• So I'll be honest. Goofing off with the game in one of the testing sandboxes was ok. bunch of little red spheres was good to see how the game would play.
    But in action with 7 other players is a mess. I'll make some bullet points.

• Combat. Is. Not. Clear. Its hard to tell what is going on. Character projectiles are messy, no real context in combat.
    • Teams need a max number of traps. Having 10+ traps on these tiny maps is chaos. Makes it even hard to tell whats going on.
    • Combat tells, non existent. This includes abilities, partially due to HOW MUCH IS GOING ON!
    • When I'm shooting with my character, I don't feel like I have control. This is due to the Camera Facing * WASD full neutral control. I hit S, I expect to backpedal, instead I turn around and move at full speed. IE: Korean MMO style controls just feel weird, lock movement based on where I'm facing.
    • Character designs, they're pretty cool. But as cool as they are; they blend in. Everything is gold and neutral. Characters are gold and neutral or mute and gold. It suffers from the same issue Wildstar has just on the other side of the art spectrum. (With wildstar everything was colorful, in Breakaway, everything is shiny with neutral colors.)
    • UI while ok in my book, is painful to use. ESC key? Yeah - that opens a menu or panel while I'm in another, so does tab when I expect it to close the currently opened menu/panel. There is no locking or checking when I have another full screen panel open or toggled. Doesn't feel right. This is coming from a UI dev. Oh and match making notification, move that to a lower right hand side alert. Full screen is annoying when you let the user navigate other menus.
    • Lets talk about that ball. Where is it? Where did it go? I have no idea what happened to it during that moment of intensive combat. The ball is VERY Hard to track when it blends in with everything. Its gold, the map has gold all over the place. Take a note from that really popular game with cars. Ensure the ball contrasts with the environment. Blending in with environment is bad.

You want this to be a game where twitch players and the community can play and compete in. But with characters blending into the environment, the key object of the game doesn't contrast and is hard to see, abilities with no tells, and so many traps its hard to tell what is going on.

The game still needs a LOT of work for it to even see its potential and not ride a gimmick for a month before its forgotten in the mass of releases.

• Great observations, I experienced the same things, It was pure chaos in my first match, No clear strategics, Just a bunch of madness, And not in a good way.

• The controls to fight in game are rough.... I keep wanting to move around while casting spells as the Raven chick, Only to be disappointed.

My first game was atrocious! We got smashed by the opposing team, it almost felt like we didn't have a chance, even though everyone was the same level. There was no chance of even stepping foot outside of our little base. And buildables did little to no damage, nor seemed to have any impact on the overall match. Ill try a second match and see how I feel, But it was nothing like what I expected it to be.

• @Lemon_King

Great observations, I experienced the same things, It was pure chaos in my first match, No clear strategics, Just a bunch of madness, And not in a good way.

• The controls to fight in game are rough.... I keep wanting to move around while casting spells as the Raven chick, Only to be disappointed.

My first game was atrocious! We got smashed by the opposing team, it almost felt like we didn't have a chance, even though everyone was the same level. There was no chance of even stepping foot outside of our little base. And buildables did little to no damage, nor seemed to have any impact on the overall match. Ill try a second match and see how I feel, But it was nothing like what I expected it to be.

• In terms of control and getting lost.. I felt exactly the same as you.

Then I played 5 or 10 matches and it feels like a completely different game now.

I think the fact that you can die so quick makes the initial learning curve extremely harsh. You don't have time to get in and orient yourself and test things out. You get in, get lost, and then die.

My first game was against the devs and it was embarrassing.

After a few more games and finding a character I understood and could play the game feels completely different and all of my initial issues are gone. I'm able to follow the ball. I'm able to identify characters easily. I'm able to do all of the stuff I had issues with.

So, maybe play a few more games and see if it's still a problem, or try a new character. Just my thoughts.

Looks like your connection to Breakaway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.