Voice chat Curse

• I saw the banner ingame that you can use voice chat with other players if you use Curse and when you have it running in the background it will auto-connect to chat when you're in a game. I assume players not using Curse cannot hear the players who use Curse?

I feel this is a huge disadvantage as not everyone wants to install Curse and most players probably don't even know that it's needed for voice chat.

Is there ever going to be an ingame voice chat that doesn't require Curse? (guess unlikely since Twitch acquired Curse)
    And if not: is it planned for the future to have Curse voice chat connected to the game in such a way that players not using Curse will also hear the voice chat? (not even sure if this is technically possible)

I would really prefer if people can hear me without them needing additional software for it. It will make random games much more enjoyable because now there's no guaranteed way to voice-chat with players in a random match.

• Exactly who wants to download ADDITIONAL software just to make the game be as up to date as any other game. Curse Voice has been around for many years, and still nobody cares about it. It never worked with League of Legends, it never worked with Smite its not gonna work with this game.

• Lol. Yeah, they probably need to just develop an in game version for the health of the game.
    Even if its "automatic" or "easy" I have only run into a handful of people who have even bothered to download it or maybe had it prior to playing Breakaway.

• @Tradios I totally understand what you mean, but just because Amazon (like... "Mother Amazon" - the big umbrella company) owns Curse, don't think that AGS (the sub-company) has any direct sway over what Curse does with their product. It's the same deal with Twitch - Amazon owns Twitch, but AGS doesn't really have sway over what Twitch does. Notice when we were having issues with the Twitch Launcher not updating properly, AGS guys were saying "They will have a fix." AGS doesn't do anything with the Launcher - that's a Twitch thing.

Now, that isn't to say that AGS can't work with Curse/Twitch to make things better. Maybe they could have some sort of built-in chat, but currently that's just not how Curse works.

But in the end, I think there's a problem with your assumption. You assume that, if the chat system was built in to the game, more people would use it. I actually disagree - I think of things like XboxOne SMITE - Xbox gives you a free headset and Smite automatically puts you into in-game chat with your team. How many times have I gone into a casual match and actually talked with the people on my team in the past two years? I could probably count the number of times on my hands.

Same thing with this - even if you build the chat system into the game, you're assuming everyone has a headset or even wants to be in chat. I can tell you that when I was solo queuing this past weekend, I specifically disabled curse. I only used chat when I was playing with friends. I would imagine people would do the same if voice chat was built in to the game.

All that being said, I think having a chat system built-in to the game rather than having to download a secondary program would definitely make things easier for gamers, but I think from a development standpoint, being able to utilize the Curse API probably makes it easier on the Devs to just do that. It's a complicated thing to be sure, but you'll notice a lot of game developers going in this direction. Curse, Discord, Ventrillo, Team Speak - these guys already have the Voice infrastructure, so why not partner with them instead of trying to build your own voice system?

• Yeah, Curse needs to go. They need to implement Discord instead like Atlus Reactor did.

• @N0M4DTV Yeah - I think a lot of the gaming community agrees. The big issue is the strengths of the two systems. Voice Chat for Curse is really strong (some will argue better than discord), while Discord's social features are stronger than Curse. You could argue either way really.

When it comes down to bra* s tax, Amazon, the creators of this game, also own Curse... hence why they are using it instead of Discord :P

• @MackNJeeves
    I understand they want to use their own products, but if they own Curse can't they make an automated ingame voice chat that uses the Curse servers AND doesn't require a separate Curse software install?

That would make it so much better because that way you have a guaranteed way to voice chat unlike now where you depend on players having Curse running in the background too. I've only come across a handful of players using it in all my games and never had a game where all 3 teammates have it.

Edit: typo

• @MackNJeeves

I totally understand what you mean, but just because Amazon (like... "Mother Amazon" - the big umbrella company) owns Curse, don't think that AGS (the sub-company) has any direct sway over what Curse does with their product.

I understand they're all separate entities but at the very least it should make it easier for them to work together when it's all owned by the same mother company. I really do wish and hope something similar to what I proposed is possible and will be implemented sooner or later but maybe that's too much of an utopian way of thinking from my side.

But in the end, I think there's a problem with your assumption. You assume that, if the chat system was built in to the game, more people would use it.

I'm not making the assumption that more people would actually use a built-in voice chat. Then you miss the point I am trying to make. Maybe they won't.
    It is a fact however that with a built-in voice chat, other players can hear me whether they have a headset / mic or not. Maybe I should have clarified "having guaranteed voice chat" as: teammates can always hear me. Sure, they can mute me if they want but at least you are guaranteed to be able to voice chat with your teammates, even if it's a one way communication (only them hearing me). I think it makes a huge difference though if voice chatting is as simple as just holding down a hotkey ingame vs needing to install Curse software and having it run in the background when you play. It is the dependency I'm talking about. The current system depends on players having installed Curse and having it run in the background, while built-in doesn't have that dependency.
    Having said that, judging by how many people looked for teammates to voice chat with during the open Alpha (in the Discord), I am hopeful that a lot of randoms would use voice chat too.

I only used chat when I was playing with friends. I would imagine people would do the same if voice chat was built in to the game.

Maybe. This is just an assumption too. One can only guess. All I'm saying is in stead of having 3 layers between having and not having voice chat (having Curse installed, having it running in the background and the willingness to chat to teammates) it becomes 1 if you have a built-in system (just the willingness to chat to teammates) so the second is arguably a better system.

Curse, Discord, Ventrillo, Team Speak - these guys already have the Voice infrastructure, so why not partner with them instead of trying to build your own voice system?

Sure, I'm all for that. If it gives a better experience for the player and it's easier for the devs. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive though (partnering with these companies and having a built-in system that uses their infrastructure, thus not needing extra software that the user has to install separately to enable voice chat).
    I personally love Discord and would probably use that over a built-in system when playing with friends, but just for some quick random matches I would still like it if my teammates can hear me and that they have the option to talk back if they want to.

I hope you won't take my reply personally (please note English is not my first language so maybe some things I say won't have the nuance that a native speaker is able to give it) and also I truly love this game and think the devs are doing an amazing job. I wouldn't write such long posts and replies if I thought the game didn't have any potential so that's why I'm so passionate about it.

Also, maybe a bit early but: you all have a wonderful Christmas!

• with such a fast pased "MOBA" you will need a built in voice chat. You wont have time to write and come up with ideas or strats.

If this game comes out with no voice chat built it i can tell you you will loose half 20% of the people within the month. Voice chat enables strats,teamwork etc. In orginal Moba games you dont need the voice chat as it is alot slower and you got all the "help buttons". This game might work with the "help buttons" but it would be 10 times better with voice chat.

Nobody will use curse chat...

italicised text

Looks like your connection to Breakaway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.