Move while attacking

• The game is really fun for the most part! Unfortunately, every time I use an attack of any kind, my character is stuck until the entire attack animation is over. It seems to ... destroy the idea of a competitive game where mobility is important? I'm sure the developers had a good reason for putting that restriction into the game, but I personally feel it would make the game way more fun if we could move while attacking. :)

• Amazon Game Studios

Thanks for the feedback Onikoroshi.

We've gotten this bit of feedback from quite a few players. There were some design reasons why we limit moving while attacking, but we are investigating ways to achieve those goals, while increasing the movement and fluidity of attacks.

Keep on the lookout, it will likely take a while since we're still experimenting with the best way to solve this, but we're working on it.

• @Zin_Ramu Some people are always going to say that they don't like that they can't attack while moving, especially now at the strart when people aren't used to the game. However, i think that it is a really important part of the game, and alot of the skill lies in working with/around it! I'm having a fun time just figuring out different results of the movement system and engine to be more mobile incombat.

I really think you should stick with your design decision here and instead focus on making the combat more fluid, fun, skillfull in other ways. An idea i had is to have some kind of "slide attack" with shift+primary attack. This allows the player to have more options in combat. I also contemplated whether the player should perhaps have some options when knocked down as opposed to getting up automatically instantly (I was inspired by smash bros melee teching and getup attacks here).

TLDR; Remember the reasons why you made the primary attack stationary in the first place and focus on improving combat fluidity and options in other ways, imo!

• @0nikorosh Rawlins can (the gunslinger).

He's the only one currently, but I can see more having it in the future.

I imagine a blob who does AOE attacks and never stops moving/running over shit. Or something. Shrug.

• @0nikoroshi said in Move while attacking:

The game is really fun for the most part! Unfortunately, every time I use an attack of any kind, my character is stuck until the entire attack animation is over. It seems to ... destroy the idea of a competitive game where mobility is important? I'm sure the developers had a good reason for putting that restriction into the game, but I personally feel it would make the game way more fun if we could move while attacking. :)

I thought that at first too. Play some more and it all starts to feel right.

• @Zin_Ramu Thank you for your quick reply! I'd actually be very curious to know what the design reasons were behind this particular decision? I've played quite a few games now, and I just can't seem to get used to it. Maybe if I knew what you were aiming at with the decision, I might be better able to figure out how to play with it! I still personally think that simply allowing us to attack while moving is the best way toward more "fluid combat" (as another poster put it), but I'd still like to learn more about the current system, and who knows? Maybe I'll be another convert! :D

• I like it the way it is. I feel it would be a bit over the top if all characters could move and attack. Having some that can, and some that can't, with strengths and weaknesses balanced around it, is perfect in my book. It doesn't have to be all one way or the other.

• Maybe disabling left click stacking fill make it easier for new players, as currently if you press left click 2-3 times it will lock the animation until all of the attacks are carried out. Limiting this to not stack making you click after each animation will allow people to move more as they are not locked in a stacking animation. Just a thought.

• @Ixath said in Move while attacking:

I like it the way it is. I feel it would be a bit over the top if all characters could move and attack. Having some that can, and some that can't, with strengths and weaknesses balanced around it, is perfect in my book. It doesn't have to be all one way or the other.

Some characters can move while attacking? Which? I couldn't find any ...
    Also, how would everyone being able to move while attacking be "over the top"? Pretty much every action-MOBA I can think of (Smite, Gigantic, Paragon, etc etc) allows you to attack while moving, and those aren't "over the top" ...

@ThatGingerrGamer said in Move while attacking:

Maybe disabling left click stacking fill make it easier for new players, as currently if you press left click 2-3 times it will lock the animation until all of the attacks are carried out. Limiting this to not stack making you click after each animation will allow people to move more as they are not locked in a stacking animation. Just a thought.

Oh man, I had no idea that was a thing! No wonder I was stuck in place so long! Yes, definitely remove that! With everything else going on, it's almost impossible to actually time my attacks perfectly (for instance, trying to get off an ability between stunlock hits), so mashing the buttons will be an inevitability. ;)

• @Ixath said in Move while attacking:

@0nikorosh Rawlins can (the gunslinger).

He's the only one currently, but I can see more having it in the future.

I imagine a blob who does AOE attacks and never stops moving/running over shit. Or something. Shrug.

Lol, that would be hilarious!

• There's numerous pros and cons for both attacking on the move and being stuck in an attack animation.

Attacking on the move would certainly feel better for newcomers to the game, but it would come with a bunch of balance and design issues. All of a sudden melees would need higher base move speeds to keep up with ranged. Melees might have to lose their stagger on attack, or possibly lower their base attack speed and compensate with damage. Attack ranges would need to be adjusted, possibly projectile speeds as well. Relic mosh-pits would become even more prevalent than they already are in good matches. In my opinion it would be a god damn nightmare to balance around this change.

With the current system experience is key, especially when playing the melees. You quickly learn which abilities to use in conjunction with your regular attacks to circumvent the "stand still" factor. The tutorial even does a good job of teaching this. Maybe just expanding on the tutorial with more pre-built tutorials for each hero, expanding on the uses for their abilities as combos and standalone (you could even incentivize these by providing a one-time reward of xp or gold).

That being said, after playing during the alpha this weekend for a good amount of time I prefer the current system and am against changing it. It has been a long time since I've gone into a training mode to figure out how certain combos and mechanics work, and that to me is a good sign. The gameplay is unique and that's just another way to help the game distinguish itself from other games of similar genres.

• i play Anne Bonny and her set shot stuns you in place until animation is over... I almost quit the game experiencing this. But I came across a video of a early alpha player showing how to shoot, utilizing a slide crouching shot, and also a drop shot, which basically was imo a cheat when he did this... Not too mention made the game look stupid with people constantly doing this. I then tried to practice these moves in game and they were not possible, so this stun effect was obviously created to deter this movement,

However, I did notice the jump shot was still able to be performed which allowed free movement... which was necessary especially when behind an opponent chasing...

Example: one miss on a player moving away with a ball getting stunned doing a set shot from behind means 'Cya Later Alligator', but not so much the case if you jump shot.

Jump shots will add some skill to the shot, but takes away dps as well, you definately can lay out more AOE damage sitting still when they are bunched up, but at the cost of getting your face bashed in..

Adds some skill and rhythm to the game, once you understand it, you might appreciate it more.. so give it a chance.

• @Critabit lol was it me that showed you the shot cancels? my bad :P

All in all, I'd love to see the movement and locks stay the same. It will feel stiff when starting, but that's a unique element that makes the combat system fun and stand out from the rest. Personally I wouldn't want to throw away an element that gives charm to the game! That being said though, someone mentioned the idea of recovery options - With all the fighting game elements already in this game (hit stun, hard knock-downs,etc.) I would more than love to see tech-roll/other wake-up options in this game. To clarify, i don't mean another defensive ability only available on knockdown, but just a roll option or a delay-wakeup option to counter abusive pressure like Sparty-Spam when trapped in a corner.

just my $300

Looks like your connection to Breakaway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.