Breakaway Pointers - For the Intermediate Player

• HeyGuys,

I have been watching Shidosha's post-TDT Analysis Streams lately (and you all should too as there is some good discussion in those streams) and he frequently mentions "for intermediate players" during his analysis. I've been doing my share of watching vods and taking notes for a while now and I decided to share a list of some key things I think intermediate players should keep in mind at this point in the game's development. By intermediate I mean a player who has a grasp of the basic controls, a fundamental understanding of the warrior kits, and win conditions for the game.

So here are some Pointers for Intermediate Level Players:

Stay grouped. (Maybe not TOO grouped for certain wombos out there... ;))

We've seen this time and time again. When you go on a solo run and leave your team behind without them knowing, the enemy team will almost always take you out for free (and I'm not talkin' dinner.) Stay with your team unless you've clearly communicated you will be doing something solo and they are aware to play around this specific situation.

Buildables. Everybody gets one... set of them... per round.

When given the chance, make sure you take as many enemy buildables as you can, and place your own before round end. It's a numbers game. More living members, more net-worth, and more buildables give you the advantage.

Where's the relic?

Make sure you always know where the relic is and call it out. There's nothing worse than going for that gold buff or chasing down the wrong person to see a snap cut to an Alona dunking on your vulnerable, defenseless relay. You can also middle mouse click (on M&KB) to snap the camera to the relic's location (Thanks Nocnoz).

Know your cooldowns.
    Know what everyone's ult and defensive cooldowns are and take advantage of skills that are unavailable to your enemy.

• Most Defensive Abilities (with two exceptions currently) have a 10 second cooldown. (Apply cooldown reduction and do the math for other levels. With max CD That's an Alona TP every 6 seconds without her proc'ing the passive.)

• Ults range from 20 to 30 seconds. If they blew a huge cooldown, call that out and see if you can push a fight when you have ability advantage

• Relic Dash cooldown is 25 seconds and is dropped to 15 seconds with max CDR

Pass the relic

A tunnel-visioned opponent will focused solely on where the relic is. They already have a plan in mind just fractions of a second after seeing it in an opponent's hand. When you pass it somewhere else, they have to shift their focus and their gameplan will have to change. Take advantage of that. Keep them guessing.

You don't need to die to buy. (That has a nice ring to it)

Your gold in your pocket is just gold. When given the opportunity you should convert that hard-earned cash into stats. You don't ALWAYS need to be dead or at the start of a round to buy. Have a build path in mind and know the costs of your items so if you find the chance to go back to base and increase your impact on the game you can do it! "I have 2k gold. I can go get 2 tiers of Attack Damage and be back to clean up some kills!" This is why I'm a fan of the "net-worth" bar at the top of the spectator screen instead of a "total-gold earned" option. It shows how much impact your team's items have on the game rather than focusing on how many gold pieces you picked up.

Focus fire

Call out attack targets and focus them down to take them out of the fight to create a 4v3 situation in your favor. The priority is dependent on the situation. Is it their healer to make team fights easier? Is it that tank that keeps getting waaaay too separated from his team just BEGGING to be focused down? Then you can take advantage of your power play to take buildables or gain ground. I've seen this in a few games where a lot of people will run away with low health when they could've easily been wiped out with team communication and focus.

Death timers matter

Every death increases the respawn time for that specific warrior for the round starting at 10 seconds and increasing by 5 for each subsequent death. Keep this in mind and get kills when you can. If the game comes down to a territory battle and they are out of the battle for 25 seconds instead of just 10, you'll be happy you killed them when you had the chance.

Holding Relic = 3 v 4

When holding the relic you are unable to use abilities other than your 25 second cooldown relic dash. With this in mind, having your DPS holding relic effectively nullifies them. When I first played the game I was under the impression that if our team wasn't holding onto the relic my team was not in control. I watched my TwitchCon match as Spartacus and I was running in circles like an idiot for a good 15 seconds at one point... Not my finest moment. If you have the relic, try using it to your advantage by dropping it in a place where the enemy team will be at a disadvantage to retrieve it and force your opponent to make a bad move. Maybe draw them to a fight near your healing shrine or Spartacus catapult fire or just use your item advantage you might have. In the event they sneak someone by you and they go for a rush you can easily get back in time to stop the rush (if you didn't poorly position this situation.) The relic runner has decreased speed and your own movespeed is increased when running toward enemy warriors.

That's all I got for now. I can't wait to get back to playing this game again and I know a lot of you feel the same. Feel free to share any thoughts on these and add your own tips. I still plan on making guides for this game in the future so I appreciate any feedback anyone in the community might have.

• Awesome thread @flipdup , thank you!

@flipdup said in Breakaway Pointers - For the Intermediate Player:

Where's the relic?

Make sure you always know where the relic is and call it out. There's nothing worse than going for that gold buff or chasing down the wrong person to see a snap cut to an Alona dunking on your vulnerable, defenseless relay. You can also middle mouse click (on M&KB) to snap the camera to the relic's location (Thanks Nocnoz).

I just want to point out that also @Nocnoz told me to use the middle mouse click to snap to the Relic. I wish they would add a small step in the tutorial mode about the relic snap, just to click the button once or something. It could be pretty important during an intense fight.

Looks like your connection to Breakaway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.