Breakaway Developer Q&A! Join us from 12:00 to 1:30 PM PST.

• Hi everyone!

We hope you had a great weekend playing the Breakaway Alpha. As promised, we have a lineup of the development team with us today to take your questions, feedback, and ideas until 1:30 PM PST.

We'll also be crawling the forums looking for other threads that could use a dev response.

With us today, we have:

MPriest: Breakaway's executive producer AKA the boss
    zin_ramu: creative director AKA all blame for bad game balance
    dabillz93: game designer AKA all credit for good game balance
    berserker_mike: producer extraordinaire
    nocnoz: artist in chief
    yasserr23: technology czar
    MrSil: NONE OTHER THAN
    heintzer: community dude
    iljarotelli: community dudeboss

Post away!

• @solidjakegg said in Breakaway Developer Q&A! Join us from 12:00 to 1:30 PM PST.:

I'm brand new to the game, but one thing that really caught my attention was the Twitch integration and esports focus. I was curious if there was an API planned, and what kind of plans you guys have for spectator tools?

We've definitely given it some thought, and our philosophy is to empower community developers to create cool tools and features to enhance the around-game experience. That said, our immediate focus is getting Breakaway to a great spot, so we don't have a timeline on a public API or similar developer tools.

• Any plans to get 120 tick servers before CSGO gets them for match-making?

• Amazon Game Studios

@emperic Hi! We're not currently focusing on that, but if it turns out it's a high priority for the community, we'll prioritize it.

• Amazon Game Studios

@halo_ow Hi!. Regarding the warrior redesign, the original premise of the game was "Warriors of Myth and Legend", which brought together historical and mythical characters to fight in an arena. We heard clear feedback that players found these characters uninteresting and resembled characters they'd seen in other games. We wanted to give players an experience with Breakaway that was unique and memorable, so we pivoted to our new theme, which we call "Ascend to Immortality". Look for more backstory and content along those lines in the weeks ahead.

• Sil just stated that these are weekly test's is there any more information on how long these weekly test will run?

• Amazon Game Studios

@ikhongg said in Breakaway Developer Q&A! Join us from 12:00 to 1:30 PM PST.:

Hey guys!
    I wanted to ask if you guys had any sort of schedule to add new content in. Ex. League/Paragon/HotS has a new hero every X weeks.
    Didn't know if you all were going to try to stick to something like that once things get movin. I know it's still super early on, but didn't know if you had any plans in the future to have regular content updates.
    Thanks! :D

Hello! We are DEFINITELY planning to add new content to the game, including new warriors and maps. Looks for the start of some of this new content later this summer. Until then, please continue to play in our weekly Alpha tests and let us know what you like/don't like, so we can make Breakaway even better!

• Any chance that we'll get an item/item system rework/redesign in the near future? There's a handful of items that are basically mandatory, while everything else is ignored. Also, any chance for items with active functions?

• Amazon Game Studios

@its_motz said in Breakaway Developer Q&A! Join us from 12:00 to 1:30 PM PST.:

How long before we see a new map introduced to Breakaway?

Glad you're enjoying the game! We definitely have plans to release a new map and one will be coming later this summer, so stay tuned!

• Amazon Game Studios

@halo_ow said in Breakaway Developer Q&A! Join us from 12:00 to 1:30 PM PST.:

It's clear that competitive play and esports are going to pushed with this game, is there plans for a ranked mode down the line and are there any initial ideas of what that may look like? Or is it far too early to make any statements?

We are definitely planning on having a Ranked Mode for Breakaway. But as you may guess, this will be a large and complicated feature, so it will take some time. We are only in the design phase at the moment, so its quite a ways off.

If you have any things you definitely want or don't want as a part of the ranked experience, please let us know.

• @xyzp said in Breakaway Developer Q&A! Join us from 12:00 to 1:30 PM PST.:

Will we be seeing more characters changed in the next patch?

Expect massive visual changes for the Black Knight, Rawlins and Victor soon, probably not next patch though.

• Amazon Game Studios

@buttabuttajam
    Regarding toxicity... We're looking at ways to keep matchmade players together when they enjoy each other's company. We're also building a player scoring tool that will let you rate and ignore players who are disruptive.

Regarding custom games... We're working on them at the moment and we and expect to roll out the feature in approx 1.5 months. Custom games will support in-game spectators, so you'll be able to run your own version of Throwdown Thursdays once we drop the feature.

Regarding your alpha questions... My personal favorite moment this weekend was discovering the mobility potential of Herald's Boots on Alona. The most surprising was when DMBrandon discovered how to break the economy with our new Relic perks.

If I could change one thing in Breakaway right now, it'd be to improve our networking. It's not where we need it to be yet.

• Amazon Game Studios

@emperic said in Breakaway Developer Q&A! Join us from 12:00 to 1:30 PM PST.:

Any plans to get 120 tick servers before CSGO gets them for match-making?

There are many things that can affect your network experience in a game, one of them being the server tick rate. However it's important to note that we're working very hard all the aspects that affect the gameplay experience. One of the main changes to this alpha was our new netcode, which we're continuously improving based on the feedback we're getting from our players. Our goal is to try and deliver a smooth experience while making the game feel as responsive as possible and we're exploring all the possible options, please stay tuned for future updates .

• What sort of systems are the team discussing to combat toxicity in the game, while rewarding team play and good will?

Is it possible to have an ETA on custom games for the upcoming playtests?

What was your favorite moment from this last alpha weekend?

What surprised you the most from this last alpha weekend?

If you could change or add one thing to Breakaway immediately, what would it be?

• Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to do this.

I'm brand new to the game, but one thing that really caught my attention was the Twitch integration and esports focus. I was curious if there was an API planned, and what kind of plans you guys have for spectator tools?

Games a freakin' blast to play, keep up the awesome work!

• Hey guys!
    I wanted to ask if you guys had any sort of schedule to add new content in. Ex. League/Paragon/HotS has a new hero every X weeks.
    Didn't know if you all were going to try to stick to something like that once things get movin. I know it's still super early on, but didn't know if you had any plans in the future to have regular content updates.
    Thanks! :D

• Amazon Game Studios

@generaldeath said in Breakaway Developer Q&A! Join us from 12:00 to 1:30 PM PST.:

Obviously twitch intergration and streaming Breakaway is very important are there any plans for a partner program and if so will lower level streamers have a good shot at getting in? (Working to become an affiliate myself)

Absolutely! We're working on a program to support broadcasters and other content creators, stay tuned.

• @xyzp said in Breakaway Developer Q&A! Join us from 12:00 to 1:30 PM PST.:

• will there be special titles for the forums / in game titles or items for people who were in the beta tests

It's something we'll consider, for sure!

• will we have to wait as long as we did for the june alpha?

Nope! We're planning to have weekend playtests more or less every weekend until we go 24/7 (there may be exceptions, but our current plan is every weekend).

• Are you guys still looking for community suggested characters?

Always! The design team is definitely interested in ideas and inspiration.

Stay tuned. :) We haven't fully announced that event yet. Later this week we'll have more details!

• when will we be able to test stream plus and metastream?

Metastream should already be included, though we did notice some issues

• will we be seeing more breakaway at twitch con again this year?

We'll be there in one form or another. Details when they're finalized!

• will we continue seeing streamers come to AGS to stream breakaway?

For a little while, for sure! Now that the game's a bit more available to play from home, we're also hoping to sign up streamers to play and give away codes from home.

• I know this is a breakaway Q&A but when will we be getting news about Crucible and new world?

Wish I could answer this, but they're different game teams with their own timelines and plans.

• Amazon Game Studios

@xyzp said in Breakaway Developer Q&A! Join us from 12:00 to 1:30 PM PST.:

We decided to split up this question, @xyzp. Here are my answers:

• will there be another throw down Thursday involving community members only?

Hopefully, you guys enjoy watching Throwdown Thursday (TDT), we certainly enjoy it on our end. In terms of future plans, as you know, we just finished our Office League Season 3 and are currently in active discussions for what comes next. There is a really cool event happening on Monday at noon Pacific (tease). Following that, TDT will definitely be back! More details to come, but I can tell you that our current plans are to feature community matches once we go live with custom match and Broadcast Match Builder!

• can the community get a chance to get some breakaway apparel please :( ?

That would be awesome! We do bring some cool swag to events, so make sure you're at TwitchCon or Gamescom... We may also do some contests to give some shirts away (pester @heintzer :) )

• will we have to wait as long as we did for the june alpha?

Nope! With the June Alpha test, we're moving into weekly tests, so make sure your clear up those summer plans and save yourself having to purchase all that sun screen!

• Are you guys still looking for community suggested characters?

We're always looking for community feedback and suggestions. If you got cool ideas for warriors, send them over!

This is the event that I talked about. You'll see a really fun exhibition match on Monday at 12pm on our Twitch channel.

• do you have any plans for the GMs in the future?

We're constantly working on ways to make TDT different every season. I can't speak to whether or not GMs will be back just yet, but if you liked it, let us know!

• will we be seeing more breakaway at twitch con again this year?

Of course! (as to what, I can't say just yet).

• will we continue seeing streamers come to AGS to stream breakaway?

YES! we had a streamer, LadyDevann, here last Friday. We built a broadcast studio at the heart of our development area so that we could constantly bring people into our studio to broadcast!

• I know this is a breakaway Q&A but when will we be getting news about Crucible and new world?

News about those games will be coming in the future. Sorry I can't give you more information about those titles just yet.

• My final question is, are there any chances of more community members being flown out to be apart of the office league like Kalo? And if so may I toss my name into the mix? Wink wink, nudge nudge. :)

Looks like your connection to Breakaway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.