Low Ping Matchmaking no good

• Today's patchnotes have a disturbing notice:
    Low Ping Matchmaking: We've adjusted our matchmaking system to favor low-ping matches when searching for games. Casual Mode matchmaking will now seek a match with 60ms or better latency for two minutes before considering matches with worse latency. This should improve overall game latency at peak play times, but may increase matchmaking times during off-peak hours.

Well that puts me out to pasture since its 60 ms minimum to any mainland server from Hawaii.
    Dev teams sticking their heads in the sand about latency is probably the number one cause of failed online game launches. Nothing you see in the Alpha is going to be a realistic test of latency under real customer load!
    And then, if the game only performs well under 60 ms, I have to assume that players with lower latency will have an advantage during play. This could be a deathblow to a game that is supposed to be an e-sport.

• @moodgem said in Low Ping Matchmaking no good:

I think this is an alpha issue and maybe Amazon plans to distribute servers globally. (as well as multiple US regions) I get the feeling that they're just trying to test the optimum ping times atm. Unfortunately that means if you are testing out of their hot zone the game is pretty unplayable at this stage.

Well, Hawaii always has a high ping to the mainland, so unless they plan to have a Hawaii based server, there is no way to fix this.

• I think this is an alpha issue and maybe Amazon plans to distribute servers globally. (as well as multiple US regions) I get the feeling that they're just trying to test the optimum ping times atm. Unfortunately that means if you are testing out of their hot zone the game is pretty unplayable at this stage.

• @krokedkroked yeah true, sorry I didn't consider that!

• Amazon Game Studios

@krokedkroked said in Low Ping Matchmaking no good:

Today's patchnotes have a disturbing notice:
    Low Ping Matchmaking: We've adjusted our matchmaking system to favor low-ping matches when searching for games. Casual Mode matchmaking will now seek a match with 60ms or better latency for two minutes before considering matches with worse latency. This should improve overall game latency at peak play times, but may increase matchmaking times during off-peak hours.

Well that puts me out to pasture since its 60 ms minimum to any mainland server from Hawaii.
    Dev teams sticking their heads in the sand about latency is probably the number one cause of failed online game launches. Nothing you see in the Alpha is going to be a realistic test of latency under real customer load!
    And then, if the game only performs well under 60 ms, I have to assume that players with lower latency will have an advantage during play. This could be a deathblow to a game that is supposed to be an e-sport.

Hey @krokedkroked ,

Thanks for the feedback. We actually are working hard on our networking experience to allow for good experiences for people wherever they are. The purpose of these tests is to test the game with real world scenarios. Our game is to make the game feel good with high latency. In addition to our work on the game itself, we're also working on the matchmaker to provide a good experience through matching people to the closest region that's available to them, this allows a more balanced experience for everyone.

Looks like your connection to Breakaway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.