Motz's Introductory Guide to Breakaway for Beginners

• When Starting Breakaway For The First Time

Make sure to take advantage of the small tutorial that is offered in game to learn the basics of Breakaway. When you can make it to the main menu, be sure to visit the settings and tweak the game to your play style with the numerous options available, alot more options are to come in future updates. One important thing to note is this is how you switch between double tab, quick cast etc. Playing a full Bot match prior to trying PvP is not a bad idea by any means.

How To Win

Goal of the game is to win a Best of 5. You win a round by one of 3 ways, scoring the relic in the opponents goal. Wiping the entire enemy team, so having all 4 members dead at the same time. Note the more you die , the longer the re spawn timer, and this goes for your enemy's too. Last but not least is the territory battle. To win this you must have the relic on your enemy's side of the arena at the end of the round time, there is no overtime or anything of the sort so make sure to be aware of the relics location come the end of a round.

The Warriors

Thinking ahead, decide on what type of warrior you would like to play when you do get to the warrior select screen. Are you a Merrick, or a Thorgrim? (tank role) The fighter Argus? Maybe an assassin like Jarra? Ranged DPS? Give Rawlins , Victor or Kyra a try. Last but not least there are two support warriors, Alona and Korryn. Play someone your gonna be comfortable with at first, then explore. There is an indicator in game at the character select screen showing the difficulty of each warrior. This may help decide which warrior to start with, but dont worry about trying a warrior with more stars seeing as how they all play very differently.

Something note able about most warriors at the moment is that the ability layouts are all very similar. Ofcourse your LMB is your basic ability, but all the warriors have a RMB that act as some sort of defensive mechanic to allow added survivable whatever the means. R is gonna be your Ultimate ability. The Q, & the E are the ones that really do Vary depending on which warrior was selected.

The Relic

When you go to pick up the relic for the first time you will notice your skill bar changes, giving you new ability's to allow you to handle the relic. LMB will now throw the ball, the longer you hold it the farther it will throw the relic. Your RMB which allows you to dash in any direction you decide depending on which movement key you are on. (WASD in most cases unless you play on controller or left handed) Another skill you have access to while holding the relic is passing the relic to your teammates by pressing E. The target receiving the relic in most cases will be indicated by a blue line from you to them. Passing the relic is a very useful ability in moving the relic up field. Note if you are ever walking next to an ally with the relic you will see a blue rotating circle above your head indicating you are the marked target of a pass if your friendly presses E. When no allies are in range for a pass, you can simply toss the ball straight up in the air above you by using the pass button. (E again)

Buffs

On each map you will see two crystals towards the left and right sides of the arena, these are buffs.

Currently in game there are 4 buffs;

• Damage buff, indicated by a red crystal.
    • Gold (currency used to buy in game items) buff indicated by a gold crystal.
    • Armor buff indicated by a grey-ish white crystal.
    • Health buff indicated by a green crystal.

These are valuable, some more than others, but all of them will help give your team a advantage to winning the fight in the arena. Be sure to prioritize accordingly with your team.

Buildables

Each warrior is equipped with one buildable. You can place that buildable by using its default key 1. Placing your bulidables each round is a necessary thing for your teams sake. Most buildables act as a second line in case you cant stop a ball, some offensive, all of which are important. Destroying your opponents buildables are just as important as placing and protecting your own. Buildables make it hard for most offensive pushes to be successful so make sure to get down the ones your enemy's place quickly, but at the right time to not leave your team vulnerable. Note that buildables do persist over rounds so be sure to protect the ones you have.

Item Shop

There is a small item shop in the game currently, the detailed description of each item can be found in game by pressing the buy key B and hovering over the item u want to know more about. I strongly recommend you take time in a bot match or try mode to read a few of them. I will cover items in more detail in my next advanced guide. These items are crucial to evolving your warrior mid match making them stronger and more suitable for the fight ahead. Many of the choices u make on which items to buy do vary depending on what items you see your opponent buying or what they are doing in the game, prime examples; See your opponent building armor, you know its safe to build armor pen. vice versa. They have 4 buildables that need destroyed its obvious to buy buildable damage if u want to focus that. These are just few of the possibility's currently

Fun Time

Now get out there and dunk some relics. I hope this quick guide can help shed some light on the basic interactions in Breakaway. Be on the look out for an advanced guide soon in coming weeks and more updates to this , and future posts from me! Any questions or need advice feel free to comment below.

• @orillie said in Motz's Introductory Guide to Breakaway for Beginners:

What does "Power Play" get you?

I had to go to the community for this one, as i truly did not know. So far ive gathered, there are NO rewards for getting a power play, and it is achieved by killing multiple members of the team in short succession.

• Amazon Game Studios

Goof stuff Motz. Lots of good information here for new players.

• What does "Power Play" get you?

• @kasperredbeard said in Motz's Introductory Guide to Breakaway for Beginners:

@its_motz said in Motz's Introductory Guide to Breakaway for Beginners:

@orillie said in Motz's Introductory Guide to Breakaway for Beginners:

I had to go to the community for this one, as i truly did not know. So far ive gathered, there are NO rewards for getting a power play, and it is achieved by killing multiple members of the team in short succession.

"Temporary numerical advantage in players during a team sport"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_play_(sporting_term)

after looking at that more its interesting, and while you dont get gold or boosts from power plays in Breakaway, you do know that the enemy is down players, which means an upper hand. So while no physical reward by getting a power play there is a gained advantage that can be viewed as a reward in a sense. Hockey and there penalty box system is what made me think of it like that, and maybe if you can punish the enemy into a power play, they should receive a res penalty? but thats just an idea. In no way are the added functions required, just a thought.

• @softwareqa said in Motz's Introductory Guide to Breakaway for Beginners:

@its_motz Do we know the details behind the damage and armor buffs? Do they have a flat boost to each player's Attack Str and Armor stats respectively? Or is it a percent bonus, or something else? Any idea what the value is?

i believe mewy touched base with the numbers on discord and they found the damage buff is a 15% damage increase. the health buff is a 20% health boost. the gold buff gives 500 gold to every member of the team and the armor buff is a 20% damage reduction.

• This post is deleted!

• @its_motz said in Motz's Introductory Guide to Breakaway for Beginners:

@orillie said in Motz's Introductory Guide to Breakaway for Beginners:

"Temporary numerical advantage in players during a team sport"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_play_(sporting_term)

• What abilities preclude you from picking up the relic?

• @orillie said in Motz's Introductory Guide to Breakaway for Beginners:

What abilities preclude you from picking up the relic?

Every ability/action. You can not use any form of attack, escape, etc. when trying to secure the relic.

• @its_motz Do we know the details behind the damage and armor buffs? Do they have a flat boost to each player's Attack Str and Armor stats respectively? Or is it a percent bonus, or something else? Any idea what the value is?

Looks like your connection to Breakaway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.