Help against Jarra

• Hello! I'm very new to the game, just got a alpha key through Kalology. I'm looking for some specific help, and while I'm at it I have some general questions as well.

To start, I've played a couple of the free characters this weekend, then spent my first 1200g on Kyra. She seemed like she would fit my play-style. After playing roughly 10 games, I realized very quickly this one fact: Jarra kicks my ass. So, I'm here wondering what I can do to improve. I have been taking the buff that gives me more gold when I fumble the enemy relic carrier, and I usually buy building thorns first so my archer towers are the most annoying last line of defense possible. I like to play defensive primarily, and I'm usually the farthest person back on my team, but I also push forward when the ball is going towards the enemy's goal.

Next I usually buy attack damage or cooldown reduction (can't tell which one I like the more yet). However, anytime I'm against a Jarra I build defense next instead of attack. And then Health if the game goes long enough. Each time a Jarra finds me (alone or with the team) I will die from one complete combo.

What am I doing wrong? Or is she supposed to be that strong (vs Kyra at least)? Should I be building defense earlier? Is it because she costs more, and therefore a more veteran player (ie someone playing for more than one weekend) is playing her and knows what they're doing? Is it because I'm a noob and I need to learn to "git gud scrub"? Or is this just an alpha balance thing that I just gotta wait out?

Last question: How do I do a search in the Breakaway forums for a specific topic? No idea if someone else has posted something similar to this topic already because I couldn't find a search bar. So far I'm loving the game, and any help/tips are more than welcome :D

• Hey man. Looks like Motz already helped you out quite a lot (always ahead of me man..)
    But as a Jarra main. I have one last thing to add.
    Look very carefully at her items.

Jarra can only 1 shot squishies (with no armor and hp upgrades) as soon as she hits Attack Damage item III.
    Believe me, I know ^^

Even though she really hurts even with only damage item I, you don't have to build armor before she reaches III.

• @claybyte against a good jarra you definitely wanna build more defensive than offensive. If you can survive the initial combo then you should be more than fine.. so building armor/hp vs a jarra is always good

• @claybyte said in Help against Jarra:

Jarra kicks my ass. So, I'm here wondering what I can do to improve.

Would like to start of by saying Jarra is an a* s kicker. When playing against an enemy Jarra u must be aware of her location most of the match, otherwise expect her to be behind you with an ult, waiting to finish kills. She plays much differently than most warriors currently. Very squishy, high risk high reward type of warrior.

I have been taking the buff that gives me more gold when I fumble the enemy relic carrier,

Alot of the guys in the community like the health regen while carrying the relic, i personally like the pa* s distance. This perk is more of a personal choice. Find a few that fit your play style. You will notice if you start to squad with other players you will see that some perks become more effective. Example: You play solo and pa* s distance way not be as valuable because there's not much team work/ coordination, but on a team it becomes more valuable.

and I usually buy building thorns first so my archer towers are the most annoying last line of defense possible.

I personally think thorns are not as good as just taking attack damage and heres why. So lets say u do buy thorns first, u have one buildable. Will thorns do more damage in that round than the extra amount of damage that you could have dealt with ATK DMG. In Most situations ATK DMG wins. Especially in your situation against a jarra, any little bit to help burst her down and punish will be better, shes is very squishy. I personally dont get the same value out of thorns as i do just going ATK DMG first.

I like to play defensive primarily, and I'm usually the farthest person back on my team, but I also push forward when the ball is going towards the enemy's goal.

As Kyra this is a good thing, she currently out ranges every warrior . Her attacks allow her to play in the back out of danger from the enemy team. Of course watch for those sneaky Jarras

Next I usually buy attack damage or cooldown reduction (can't tell which one I like the more yet). However, anytime I'm against a Jarra I build defense next instead of attack. And then Health if the game goes long enough.

Attack damage is a must on Kyra! (my opinion) Her job is to dish out damage, and the items that help with that best are, ATK DMG, and more situational Armor Pen. These two items together allow for Kyra to dish out huge amounts of damage. Health is never a bad idea on Kyra but its usually my second item. My perfect Kyra build is Attack damage, Armor Pen, Health, Amulet of Regen. Build helps u stay in the fight the longest while dishing out more damage.

What am I doing wrong?

Just practice a bit more my friend.

Or is she supposed to be that strong (vs Kyra at least)?

She is strongest against the back line warriors. (Kyra, Victor, Koryyn, Alona) The Less Health you have the easier it will be for her to one shot you.

Should I be building defense earlier?

As Kyra , against a Jarra, i would probably buy attack damage round one, Come round two Another set of Attack damage and hopefully start your health upgrade. Try to max attack for round three , then finish health. There is no right or wrong at the moment, play what feels best to you. we can only provide opinions.

Last question: How do I do a search in the Breakaway forums for a specific topic?

Not sure about this one buddy.

• As someone who has played a lot of Jarra and Kyra, this is what I recommend to give the enemy Jarra a tough time.

1. Move around constantly and jump shot as much as you can. Staying mobile makes it way harder to the enemy Jarra to ulti you and they may target someone else who isn't as mobile.

2. After being ultied by Jarra, pop your E so that they can't instantly auto attack you or pounce on you and finish you off if you're still alive.

3. Stay aware of enemy Jarra's positions. Watch the enemy Jarra at the beginning of each round and you will typically see where they place their trap. Immediately go and destroy the trap when it's safe.

4. If the Jarra is still giving you a rough time, build some health. Most Jarras build defense penetration fairly early on so you're better off stacking health. Also it doesn't hurt to take some movement speed to escape more easily.

5. Stay near your team. If you hug your teammates, the enemy Jarra will not be able to single you out as easily. Also if you're lucky, they may accidentally ulti someone else on your team (Preferably your tank).

Hope this helps!

• @its_motz, thanks for the in lengthy response. You've convinced me, I'll try building attack first and see how it goes.

• Amazon Game Studios

Great responses Breakaway crew. Love how helpful the community is here.

• Armor is really effective against Jarra, since her ULT is lots of separate attacks, the armor gets applied to each attack.

Other than that being aware of Jarra's position is the most critical thing. (And keep your E as an escape, don't use it offensively - when playing Kyra).

• This is how I would try to search the forums atm. Enter "site:forums.playbreakaway.com" on google, and also whatever you are trying to find on the forums. There is also a search by date option if you are using desktop.

Luckily your own thread is a good source for this information now. :)

Looks like your connection to Breakaway was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.